Controversial topic ahead!
It includes the “D” word – detox!!! But… it’s different than you think.
What if instead of talking about “detoxing” the body, we “detoxed” what we put in, on, and around our bodies? (This is also known as living a healthy lifestyle!) The fact is, your body already has an amazing built-in system to get rid of waste and toxins. (Including your liver, kidneys, skin, lungs, and large intestine.) But unfortunately, our modern lifestyles and habits tend to make it harder for our organs to do their jobs. This can leave you feeling bloated and tired … and it can also get in the way of your performance.
The good news is that you can help turn that around by cutting back on the overload your “detox” system has to deal with. Bonus: This approach helps you reach your goals faster, too.
7 Steps to Building a Clean High-Performance Machine
- Limit alcohol. Too much alcohol can make it harder for your liver to do its normal jobs – one of which is helping your body get rid of toxins. (Experts recommend limiting alcohol to 1 drink a day for women and 2 for men.)
- Get enough sleep. During the day, waste builds up in your brain. Then, at night when you’re sleeping, it’s swept away. Not enough sleep = waste buildup.
- Drink enough water. Water performs a lot of functions in your body, including helping your body’s detox system remove waste products from your blood.
- Avoid sugary & processed foods. Eating high-calorie foods low in vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients is linked to chronic diseases like obesity and diabetes. This can hurt your organs (like kidneys & liver) that help your body’s detox system.
- Don’t eat too much salt. Among other things, it can lead to your body retaining water (related to #3 above).
- Be active. Exercise and regular activity lowers inflammation in your body and helps boost your body’s ability to detox.
- Choose your self-care & home cleaning products carefully. Using natural products on your body and in your home can drastically cut your exposure to chemicals.
When you support your body with a healthy lifestyle that works with your schedule and your goals, you don’t need a quick fix!